How to get the best spray on tan
Spray Tan Preparation & Care
To ensure that you get the best results from your spray on tan, follow the following care advice and you may extend the life of your spray on tan past the usual 5 to 7 days.
If you are getting a spray tan for a special event, we recommend that you book your spray on tan for 2 days before the event. For weddings, a trial is required to secure a booking for your special day.
- Be sure to exfoliate the day prior to your spray tan.
- A dry body brush is a great way to exfoliate the skin.
- Some people find they don't go as dark as they would like if they exfoliate the same day as their tan.
- Wax or shave at least 24 hours prior to your spray tan as pores can remain open and skin sensitive after hair removal.
- MALES: it is suggested that you trim any hair on legs and body, as hair will act as a barrier to the tan adhering to your skin evenly.
- Don't apply moisturiser to your skin or face on the day of your spray tan.
- Moisturisers, deodorants, perfume, makeup or creams act as a barrier to the skin.
- Application of these prior to your spray tan will result in the product acting as a barrier to the tan adhering to your skin.
- These barriers can also make the spray tan appear green when sprayed directly onto the skin due to a chemical reaction between the barrier and the spray tan solution.
- It is important to be on time, as other clients are booked in either side of you. If you are late, please don't be offended if we cannot fit you in.
- We do not have a waiting area. We operate from a home salon and unfortunately due to items going missing from our lounge room, we cannot accommodate clients waiting in our home salon.
- If booking for more than one person you will need to attend at your designated time.
- Please advise me if you are pregnant, breast feeding, taking medication or have any skin condition.
- Come along to your spray tan appointment wearing loose dark clothing as sometimes the bronzer will come off on your clothes (it should wash off in the wash).
- I provide disposable underwear (for females), hair nets and stick on feet. These items are individually and hygenically packaged.
- I will apply some moisturiser to some areas of your body that absorb spray tanning solution greater than other areas (eg knees, ankles, elbows, wrists) and this will ensure an even coverage.
- The application of the spray tan solution will take 5 minutes.
- I may apply some baby powder to some areas of your body (under arms, behind knees etc) to avoid perspiration before you shower the spray tan off. This also assists in decreasing patchiness when your tan fades.
- You will inspect your spray tan to ensure that you are happy with the result.
- You will be given care instructions to extend the life of your spray tan.
- Get clothed and then you are all finished!
- NOTE: Tan-U will not provide double coats of spray tan - the best results are achieved from light even application. Double coats will leave you looking "orange" and come off patchy. This method of application is against Aussie Bombshell and Techno Tan's recommendations!
Caring for Your Spray Tan at Home
- Follow the advice given of when to shower the spray tan off.
- Some people complain of "orange" tans. This is because they have let the product over develop, left it on too long or it was coated too thick.
- Have a short shower to remove the bronzer applied with the spray on tan.
- Be careful not to have contact with water or liquids prior to your shower.
- I recommend that clients have a shower no earlier than 2.5 hours after your spray tan to ensure enough colour variation on the skin.
- When you shower, the bronzer will wash off - Don't worry, your tan is not washing off, just the bronzer that assisted in ensuring an even application of spray on tan!
- Apply moisturiser liberally after each shower.
- Exfoliating and hair removal will remove your tan, so avoid this in the first few days from application.
- If you are travelling on an aircraft stay well hydrated on your journey.
- Water activities (eg pools, spas, beach etc) and exercise will decrease the life of your spray tan.
- Enjoy your spray tan and ensure that you provide us feedback!
- As weddings are such an important event- we will only take bookings for the special day after a trial. We want to get the colour match exactly correct and everyone's skin responds differently to a spray on tan. We don't want you to be disappointed on your wedding day!
- Each person's skin will respond differently to solutions.
- Hormone levels, medications and hair removal the day of your tan impact on the spray on tan result.
- Spray tan product does not provide sun protection so ensure that you apply UVA and UVB sunscreen when outdoors.
- The key ingredient in spray tans is DHA (dihydroxyacetone) which is a natural derivative of sugar cane. It is considered harmless by the US Food & Drug authorities, however not recommended to be ingested (ie intentionally inhaled).
- Tan-U use an air extraction fan whilst undertaking the spray on tan.
- If you are pregnant and would like more information about spray tanning, check out this link : Spray Tanning and Pregnancy.
- Spray tanning whilst pregnant is a personal choice and the decision should be made in consultation with your doctor.
- If you have a skin condition Tan-U encourage you to seek medical advice prior to having a spray on tan.